Monday, July 21, 2008

Ducks at Work


Near where I live, there's a duck pond. There's also a big sign just like the one you see here.

I've lived here for 15 years, and never much thought about it. But I was driving down the road with my wife and daughter, and lo and behold, right in front of us, was a line of ducks crossing the road.

It wasn't smart, I'll grant you. I mean, I wouldn't walk across a busy street like that, particularly if I were with my kids. And this duck had quite a few of them. But what do you expect? She's a duck, after all.

But the cars behind me started honking, imploring me to plow over those birds so they could get to Starbucks and buy that latte, or go home and open up that Hustler mag they'd just bought, or get to their friend's house in time to catch Dr. Phil.

"Why are they honking like that, Daddy?" my daughter asked.

And you know, I had a response right there, right on the tip of my tongue. But I try not to use that sort of language in front of my daughter.

"It's hard to say," I told her.
blog comments powered by Disqus