Sunday, August 03, 2008

With Apologies to Martin Niemoller


Over at Edwize, they’re getting up on their high horse again, pretending to be the protectors of working people, rather than a bunch of gutless double-pensioned self-serving patronage hacks. I was somewhat offended by their presumption to portray themselves as defenders of working people, particularly since they supported mayoral control and enabled every unproductive "reform" that Tweed has been able to foist on NYC teachers and students.


In case it's not obvious to everyone reading this, their main instrument to accomplish this was the 2005 contract. In any case, I've reworked the verse to something more appropriate:

When the UFT gave up the transfer plan,
I said nothing; after all, I was already in a good school.
When they made my colleagues ATRs,
I said nothing; after all, I was not yet in a closing school.
When they partnered up with Green Dot,
I said nothing; after all, I had tenure and seniority.
When my school was closed, there was no longer anyone who could protest.




blog comments powered by Disqus