Tuesday, April 05, 2011

Rollercoaster Day

So hey, y'all, I know I usually come at ya in the wee hours of the morning, but situations being what they were today, here I am in the after-school-type hours. It is what it is. Hopefully Mr. Educator won't fire me from this super-cushy gig. I really need the subsidized Blackberry and Starbucks runs.

Anyway, it turns out that this worked out really well, because today was a wild rollercoaster of a day. I prevented a fight in one of my classes today through persistence, speed, truth, justice, and the American way. One of the almost-fighters even made it all the way through the day without getting re-engaged in the drama. I facilitated a discussion among four angry kiddos who all have beef with another (lovely, well-intentioned, hard-working) teacher at my school and promised to help them get to the bottom of things.

Then, in the crowning glory on the day, I sat down with the teacher in question and we had a heart-to-heart. It was great. It seems crazy that I'm now in a position to offer someone else advice, but there you go. The whole time I was listening to the kids complain about this guy, because they need to feel I heard, I'm also stressing that they need to own the problem and figure out their own way out of the situation. My heart was breaking for him because I know him to be a great guy and it was so hard to hear that he was struggling with this group of kids. We're going to work on turning a few of the kids' hearts and getting them to maybe pull along some of their friends in helping the class run more efficiently.

It's tough. Today was, while wild, not really exceptionally different from what I and so many of us do on a daily basis. It's just that it all got rolled into one wacky day today.


blog comments powered by Disqus