Tuesday, January 31, 2012

It's All Downhill from Here!

Well, congratulations, educators! We're officially halfway through the 2011-12 school year today and, assuming you haven't faked your own child's death or anything lately, you're still holding on here with us. Good job. Take a well-deserved slug of your coffee, probably the first of many on this chaotic first day of the new semester for us high school teachers, and raise your mug in salute to your colleagues.

I'm grateful that my schedule and rosters endured minimal shuffling with the switch of the semester. I had to fight to get a few of my kiddies placed back in my classes after a couple of cavalier program changes, but my charm and persistence paid off. The programming teacher is probably hoping not to see my name in his e-mail inbox until April, but that's why he gets paid the big bucks.

Other changes have taken place at TMS2. Ronny graduated early, presumably to start his Springsteen-esque new life in New Jersey sooner. Alice still isn't back, and we still miss her. Natasha is returning, though, and thank heavens, because what would we do for chuckles and facepalms without her? However, my class sizes have increased, again, so I can look forward to more plaintive cries of "Damn, miss, how many more kids they gonna put in here?" This is a good question. I don't yet have kids seated on the windowsills, so maybe a few more.

Of course, I'm mindful that my elementary and middle-school colleagues have soldiered through the past week with none of this Regents nonsense by which to take something of a late January breather. I remember those days, and I hope you are all hanging in there until the real break in February.

Happy spring semester!
blog comments powered by Disqus