Thursday, January 17, 2013

The Growth Model in Medicine

-->
We all depend on doctors. They have a very good reputation, are highly educated, and we tend to trust them. Here’s a disturbing statistic, though. As western medicine is organized now, 100% of patients tend to die.
Clearly, there’s something wrong with this system. If 100% of patients die, what value are doctors adding? Sure, some say, they can provide medicine, surgery, and advice that often puts off the inevitable. But why should Americans, including children (whom we place first) invest countless millions of dollars in something that guarantees only death?
The only solution, as far as I can tell, is to institute a system that rewards good doctors. For example, I myself have seen many doctors, yet I'm not in as good shape as I was twenty years ago. I have less hair, and it's not quite the same color it used to be. Furthermore, I'm a government employee, and the taxpayers have subsidized my health insurance. Why on earth should they be paying for this?
 We need to offer merit pay to doctors who can reverse the aging process. Let's face it--everyone wants to be young and beautiful. People pay millions chasing this ideal. Yet our doctors go to school for years, study all sorts of things, and still people grow old and die.
Mayor Bloomberg is looking a little under the weather lately, to tell you the truth. It baffles me that he doesn't champion this cause.
It certainly makes about as much sense as anything else he's done lately. 
blog comments powered by Disqus