Tuesday, October 03, 2017

I Don't Give a @$%&.

One day, Mr. Blister, a soon to retire member, and I were sitting at a table together. He told me, "Miss Treecrab gave me an observation. It's pretty bad. Fortunately I don't give a @$%&."

"I'm happy to hear that," I told him.

"I knew it was gonna be terrible," he said. "She came in at 9:25 and just kept shaking her head. She walked out at 9:38. She was still shaking her head. I knew it would be awful."

"Are you sure about the time?" I asked him.

"Yes," he said. "I looked at my watch."

"Then the observation is invalid," I told him. "She needs to stay at least fifteen minutes. Let's file a grievance."

"I would," he said. "It's just that I don't give a @$%&."

"Yes, but I do. Let's file a grievance."

"Okay," he said. "I'll do it as a personal favor to you. But I still don't give a @$%&."

"Thank you," I said. We filed a grievance and won. The observation was tossed.

I thought about that when I was counseling another member. He was very upset. I told him the story.

"Try to channel Mr. Blister," I told him.

"You're right," he said. "I DON'T GIVE A @$%&! HOW COULD THOSE IDIOTS DO THAT? WHO DO THEY THINK THEY ARE?"

"No, you're not getting it," I said. "Take a deep breath. Good. Now try it again."

"I DON'T GIVE A FLYING @$%&. WHAT THOSE MORONS THINK!"

"No. You need to channel Mr. Blister. Think about this," I said. "What's the opposite of love?"

"IT'S HATE. I HATE EVERY ONE OF THEM. I DON'T GIVE A @$%&!!!"

"The opposite of love is not hate. It's indifference. Mr. Blister really didn't give a @$%& about that observation report. He would've been fine if they wrote 200 more. That's the approach you have to take."

I started making peaceful, calming gestures. After a while he got it.

"I don't give a @$%&," he said, finally with calm.

I hope he can keep that up. I probably wouldn't give that advice to a new teacher. But when you have enough years in, and you have Boy Wonder for a supervisor, it could be the best way to go.
blog comments powered by Disqus