Sunday, December 03, 2017

My Friend's Door Gets a UFT Knock

I got a funny message today. My friend was home, doing home stuff, when she got a knock on her door. The person at the door knew her name and said he was from the UFT. She was pretty surprised by this. He said he wanted to talk to her about Janice. She said she didn't know who Janice was. Then he said no, it's Janus, not Janice, and it's a what not a who.

So she said she didn't know what Janus was. The guy said OK, and then he left. So I told her what Janus was. She thanked me, because she didn't know. I'm pretty sure that meant she hadn't been reading each and every letter of my staff emails, so I guess it was a good thing that guy knocked on her door. Except that he didn't tell her anything.

So really, what's the point? This guy, whoever he was, went for a weekend of training, and when somebody says she doesn't know what Janus is, he doesn't even bother to tell her. Is that why we're sending people out knocking on doors? Hardly seems worth it.

Actually, it's extra work for chapter leaders like me who are available to talk to members. What are people supposed to think when UFT reps knock on their doors, mention Janus, and then go off on their merry way? It appears to be a total waste of time.

Of course I'm just a lowly teacher. I didn't design the protocol. What do I know? If they think it's a good idea to knock on doors, mention Janus, then walk away when members don't know what it is, well, they should know. After all, I haven't even got an office, let alone the time to plan these clever informational sessions.

I wonder when they're gonna knock on my door. I don't know, but I have a strong feeling it's gonna be never. Has anyone knocked on your door yet? What happened?
blog comments powered by Disqus