Monday, July 06, 2020

Hamilton and Me

I love theater. I see it whenever I can. There's absolutely nothing like it. I haven't seen Hamilton, though. I've entered the lotteries a few times, but haven't won. I know people who have, but they just enter it every day until they win. Now, of course, it's closed along with every other show on Broadway.

If you're a teacher, like me, you can't just ante up 800 bucks every time a hot show comes up on Broadway. I see a lot of shows via TDF, which you can join right here, if you like. They're a great cause, and your membership won't become effective until the theaters reopen. You can see Broadway shows for 40 or 50 bucks a seat, and off-Broadway for considerably less.

Now you're not going to find Hamilton on TDF any time soon, even after Broadway opens. However, you can now watch a filmed version of the play on Disney Plus. You have to pay $6.99 for the month, but you can quit after the first month. I guess you can watch Dumbo too, if that's your thing. Still, I'd rather pay $6.99 than 1600 bucks to see it with someone. Much as I love live theater, I just can't imagine a show that's better than a new Macbook Pro. Anyway, even if I had an extra 1600 bucks lying around, the theater's closed.

So there you are. I heard a story about a guy who went to see Hamilton. He waited months and months, and finally got his chance to see the show. He went into the theater, and sat down next to a young woman. She was sitting next to an empty seat. He was shocked.

"Excuse me," he said. "I can't help but notice that you're sitting by yourself. I'm a little surprised. It took me months to get this seat."

"Yes," she said. "I was going to come with my husband, but he passed away very suddenly."

"Oh, excuse me," said the man. "Forgive me for even bringing it up. I'm very sorry for your loss."

"That's okay," she said. "You're very kind to say that."

"I just wonder why you didn't ask someone else to come with you," he said. "You could've asked a friend or another family member."

"Yes," she said. "I wanted to do that, but they're all at the funeral."
blog comments powered by Disqus