Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Talk Amongst Yourselves

This being spring break and all, I'll keep this one short, sweet, and funny:

I've traveled somewhat far from NYC this break, which, so far, has been excellent for my sanity. I've been getting together with old friends from my college days and earlier for drinks and food and more drinks and more food and many walks down memory lane. A great start to the break, for sure.

One friend I met up with is among my oldest friends. We go back to being in the same class in elementary school. She has, for whatever reason despite my many cautionary tales, also become a teacher, though in a rural district far from the big city.

She and I have always fancied ourselves to be creative types and have been kicking around a collaborative project for the better part of a year now, and we decided to set aside some time to work on it. So far, so good. We met up with a few other friends for dinner and drinks, then retreated to a cafe to work together.

What did we end up doing, the whole time, until the cafe closed?

If you guessed "talking shop"--comparing notes about kids, curricula, parents, administrators, and so much more--you, like us, need to get out more.

We tried again and banned shop talk from the conversation in a third venue. It worked, more or less. So I dare you to try the same this week. Let us know how it goes.
blog comments powered by Disqus