Sunday, April 30, 2006

What're You Trying to Cell Me?


The great cellphone controversy rages on. Chancellor Klein is sticking to his guns, despite vocal opposition. As far as Klein is concerned, students can't even turn them off before entering the building. Random searches will result in their confiscation, and huge headaches for the Chancellor.

Personally, I don't care if my students have cell phones. This is fortunate, because two-thirds of them, in fact, carry them religiously. I'd just as soon forbid crucifixes (I draw the line at proselytizing). As for cells, I just don't want them used in my classroom, and pretty much none of my students would dare do so.

The other day, however, a cell phone went off. It was a loud dance tune. I gave the kid "the look," and it was immediately turned off.

I walked to the front of the room and dialed my cell number from the school phone. I then handed him the school phone and answered my own cell, which is always on vibrate (Aside from this occasion, I don't answer cell calls till after class). I talked into it, and we had a brief phone conversation, which the class couldn't help but overhear.

"What did you just hear?"

"Nothing."

"That's exactly what I want to hear from your phone."

"OK, teacher. I turn off."

His English is not so great. But he got the message. I informed my class that all cell phones look alike to me, and that I might mistake the next one I hear for mine.

I do not expect to hear another cell in that class.

As for text cheating, if I'm too lazy to check on them, it's my own fault and they deserve to get away with it.

But they won't.
blog comments powered by Disqus