Saturday, September 09, 2006

Keep on the Sunny Side


I was queried about positive things that have occurred under Mayor Mike.

1. Encouraging desks set up in circles. While many of my colleagues hate this, I like it. Bloomberg's push gives me the option of arranging the desks as I wish without facing the wrath of APs.

Of course, my colleagues who like rows can re-arrange the seats as they like too.

2. Whole wheat bread in school cafeterias, and the expulsion of white flour, which has no nutritional value.

3. Banishing soda and replacing it with fruit juice, (albeit through yet another no-bid contract). Natural sugar, while not the very best thing for kids, does not promote obesity quite as much as high-fructose corn syrup, the appearance of which coincided with the beginning of what now seems an epidemic.

Other schools have made it a point to sell water at a much lower price, but I'll take this for now.

So things are better in terms of food and chairs, if you're lucky enough to have a room big enough to arrange them.

In other news, Mayor Mike is now claiming he has no control over class size, even as he continues blocking referendums to reduce it. Klein, on the other hand says he does have control over class size.

Apparently, then, he simply chooses to keep it the highest in the state.

Thanks to Schoolgal
blog comments powered by Disqus