Saturday, November 04, 2006

Lo siento, Maria


Maria's very pretty. All the boys watch her. Me, I don't know what to do with her.

She's very polite, very charming at times, copies the homework assiduously, and always apologizes for her frequent latenesses.

"Soh-ree, Me-tell."

She's trying to show respect, saying "Mister" as though it's Seňor.

Maria doesn't like writing. Whenever writing comes up, she sighs loudly, and says "Ay, Meee-tell."

"How did you do all that homework if you hate writing so much, Maria?"

"Me-tell, I no copy."

You see? She knows I know, so she heads me off at the pass. If she used a fraction of that cleverness to study, she'd probably be passing.

I can't move Maria down a level because she's already passed. Maria is accustomed to smiling rather than working her way through classes. Her experience just won't allow her to see how disappointed she's going to be with me (if she doesn't start studying).
blog comments powered by Disqus