Thursday, March 01, 2007

Ya Vengo


That's Spanish for "I'm coming," according to my venerated Spanish teachers. But I'm surrounded by Spanish speakers day and night, and I've determined that's not what it actually means. What it seems to really mean is, "I'm coming, maybe now, maybe later, maybe tomorrow, or maybe never."

I've made a pretty strong commitment to speak only English in my classes, and I sorely wish we had an equivalent saying. This is particularly true of my writing class, where I run around like a maniac reading everything the kids write. I've had a sore throat all week and I feel like a pile of mud. I just can't seem to get sick enough to justify staying home.

This morning the workshop model looks very attractive. Write on the board for ten minutes, let the kids work in groups for thirty-five, and lock myself in the supply closet for the rest of the period. Of course the bell doesn't ring, so I'll have to come out and dismiss the kids.

"Time to go, Mr. Educator."

"Ya vengo."

I wonder if there's heat in that closet.
blog comments powered by Disqus