Friday, April 06, 2007

No Pain, No Gain


Is your kid spending the week doing 750 thousand math problems?

Last February, I took my family out of state for a week, and didn't realize that my daughter had a stack of projects to do. She spent her last weekend of vacation catching up, and did a pretty awful job too. It may have been my fault, as it didn't even occur to me to ask about homework before dragging her out of town (She went willingly, actually).

But a young Stuyvesant High School student has taken a stand for her, and for students all over the country. No more assigning projects that take up every spare minute of the free time we give our kids. I think that's reasonable. On any given day, I'll give homework that reinforces what I taught that day, and it'll usually take kids 15-30 minutes to complete. On the day before vacation, I give one day's homework. That's it (Of course, that's often the day I make phone calls to let parents know how their kids are doing, so not all my students are happy with me).

Should kids get heavy projects over vacation?
blog comments powered by Disqus