Friday, October 12, 2007

I'm in the Wrong Business


A friend of mine took his son to the emergency room a few weeks ago. The kid turned out to have a broken finger. However, after waiting two-and-a-half hours in an emergency room, the kid tired of waiting, and prevailed upon my friend to leave it till he could visit a doctor's office.

Last week my friend, who has no insurance, got a bill for $508 from the hospital, which had done nothing but record his name and address. Doubtless ink is more costly nowadays.

My friend wonders how much it would've cost if someone had actually examined his son's finger. When he called the hospital, he got a very serious talking-to about the policies, and how they must adhere to them for everyone.

I'm thinking of starting a hospital in my backyard, making everyone wait until they can't wait anymore, and billing them 500 bucks a head for the privilege.
blog comments powered by Disqus