Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Compliments, Offhand and Otherwise


"What's the matter, Mr. Educator?" asked one of my students.

"Well, I saw Francine before. She said hello to me and we talked a little. And look, now she's not in class."

"That's confidence," she said.

***

Another of my students was talking to his friend during a writing test.

"Are you crazy?" I asked. "You're supposed to be writing, and you're talking to him."

"Well, I was finished talking to him and ready to write, but now I'm talking to you."

I love the way any kid in the world can turn around any situation at all and make it the teacher's fault.

***

The best, though, was that while I was correcting a paper, a student walked up and wrote something on the board. Later I turned and looked.

It was a little smiley face, and next to it was written, "I love being in this class."
blog comments powered by Disqus