Friday, May 15, 2009

Morning Comes Too Early Sometimes


Last night I dreamed about sleep. Then I realized it was because I'd hardly gotten any. I should take the day off and go to a clinic for the sleep-deprived or something. But it's Friday, and a few of my classes are reading Arsenic and Old Lace. I've got to see how they react when Mortimer finds the body in the window seat.

I was trying to explain to the kids what a farce is. Now if I were explaining to teachers, I could say, "It's when you have a union head like Randi Weingarten who partners with a charter chain that offers neither tenure nor seniority benefits." But that wouldn't work with my kids.

One asked, "Is it like Family Guy?"

It is, sort of. The broad comedy, the preposterous situations, Peter having colorful fights with that guy in the chicken suit--it would be a real coup if I could get the kids to like the play half as much as they like Family Guy.

I'm going to show them the film if we have time. It was toned down, unfortunately, to suit the stricter standards of the time it was made. But Cary Grant is very funny. If you don't have to go to work, like I do, I suggest you run out and rent it. I wish you well in either case, but the trailers beckon, and I must go.
blog comments powered by Disqus