Tuesday, June 16, 2009

The Grinches


Today I helped a colleague by typing a letter of complaint to the principal. He showed it to me in its handwritten form and I was sure the principal would have even less patience for the handwriting than I did.

He was upset about all the parties going on around our school. Some teachers had been giving exams, and others were trying to teach, and there were kids all over the place. Some had come just to take a test, others showed up because one of their teachers were giving a party, some had to empty their lockers, but quite a few did not interpret today as an attendance day.

I'm agnostic on his points. I was in one school where the principal expressly forbade parties, and there weren't any. I was OK with that. I'm also OK with my colleagues who choose to surround themselves with donuts, Cheez Doodles, and Coca Cola on the last day of school, as long as they don't bother me. A few kids brought me a plate from their party, along with a cup of Sprite. I didn't touch it, but my students were thrilled when I gave it to them.

Now I don't mind typing letters for people. But I can see both sides. If my friend doesn't like parties, fine. I don't run parties in my class either. I passed around a suggestion box, and several kids complained about the lack of parties in my class. What do you think? Should we forbid parties? Should we let those who want them have them?

Or should we require them, and make everyone have one? I'd comply, just as long as I didn't have to listen to disco or Barney the Dinosaur.
blog comments powered by Disqus