Monday, November 23, 2009

Don't Even Go There


Here's a story about a principal who's going to prison for having sex with a 16-year-old. They just added another nine months to his sentence for more sex with a 16-year-old. How on earth does a guy like that get a gig taking care of children? And how many times did he do this before he got caught? He got a couple of years, but I'd have little problem with them locking him up and throwing away the key. A guy like that belongs with his peers.

I remember when I was just starting out, I had a supervisor who warned me very sternly about keeping away from the young girls in my charge. I took that warning very seriously and always kept in mind that even the appearance of impropriety could get me in trouble. This became particularly dangerous when the 2005 contract left teachers open to unpaid suspensions for unsubstantiated allegations. I have no problem with consequences for those convicted under the law, but you'd think due process was a right of all Americans, even if they happen to be teachers.

A few years ago, I had a very precocious young woman in one of my classes. She said something like, "That's OK, baby," to me. I made it a point to say, loudly, "I'm not your baby, and don't ever call me that again," so that everyone could hear it quite clearly. Some students were stunned, while other were amused. I didn't care.

She got the message, and never spoke to me like that again.
blog comments powered by Disqus