Friday, November 27, 2009

That's How They Get Ya


I hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving, and I hope you all have the good sense to do what I'm doing this Black Friday--absolutely nothing. I'm not risking my life to save 20 bucks on an MP3 player. Actually, I just saved 20 bucks without leaving the comfort of my own home.

I was looking at my cell phone bill, and Verizon had charged my kid 10 bucks each for two "premium" texts. What the heck is a premium text, I asked the person at Verizon. Apparently, it's some vague inexplicable thing tangentially related to Facebook.

Well, I don't want to pay for it, whatever it is, I said. We'll be happy to block premium texts on all your lines, the rep kindly offered. I said fine. But there are these two, said the rep, and the calls were made, and we're so sorry, and blah, blah, blah...

Gee, I said, I love Verizon service. It's so wonderful and fabulous. Unfortunately, my contract expires in two months, and if you make me pay this twenty bucks, that's a deal breaker. I'll have to go to another provider, and I'll be very sad. Of course we'll remove those charges as a courtesy, said the rep.

Minutes later, my daughter got a text message saying a premium text message had been blocked. It appears she didn't even make the texts in question--she simply received them. At ten bucks a pop, that's kind of cheesy, even for a telephone provider.
blog comments powered by Disqus