Tuesday, November 29, 2011

The Most Wonderful Time of the Year Revisited

Hope we all enjoyed our Thanksgiving break. Sadly, we have a long way to go until the holiday break in December--nineteen school days and counting, at the beginning of this Tuesday. One of my colleagues commented yesterday, "Three weeks until Christmas break!" and I grumpily reminded her that there are, in fact, four. Hey, just being helpful.



I don't know about your school, but the past few years, at both of the schools in which I've worked, December was a, shall we say, unsettled month. Last year, the principal here sent out a memo asking us to be mindful of this tendency. I remember getting to December 23rd last year feeling like I'd run a marathon, though at least this year I'm not also co-directing the holiday talent show, which, as you can imagine, draws all of the school Drama Queens together in one hot, cramped auditorium for several hours a day for several weeks. I won't miss that particular experience; I'll be quite happy to be a spectator this year.


So as we brace ourselves for The Most Wonderful Time of the Year, in all seriousness, keep an eye on your more fragile kiddies. And be extra-vigilant with your valuables, too. Wallets, cell phones, and iPods tend to disappear quite a bit in December.


What's your advice for making it to December 23rd with your sanity intact?
blog comments powered by Disqus