Wednesday, July 11, 2012

School's in for Summer

I've never worked summer school before, but I've also found that a strange entropy seems to overtake me by the second week of August.  I think it's because I don't have kids of my own and Mr. Eyre works in the Big City, so I'm alone for long stretches of time in the summer.  On the surface I don't mind this, but I decided it might be better for my mental health to work at least a little this summer.  So I'm teaching two weeks of summer school.

This is not as bad as I feared it might be.  I'm working a "Bridge Academy" because my genius principal figured out how to afford it, and getting to know the incoming 9th graders is actually pretty nice.  Obviously, the kids who would come voluntarily over their summer vacations tend not to be the hard cases, so it's low-key and enjoyable.

I wish I could say the same for the teachers who are teaching the credit recovery classes.  It just seems to be more of what didn't already work the first time.  Attendance is spotty, motivation is nil, what have you.  I don't know who to feel worse for, the teachers or the kids.

So far, working at least part of the summer seems to work for me.  How about you?  Who's spending at least some of their summer on the great per-session payroll?  Or am I a chump who should be sleeping till noon and chilling at the beach?
blog comments powered by Disqus