Sunday, May 27, 2007

The Carnival


Well, I've just received an email informing me that I was not actually the subject of carnival criticism I'd read. I've therefore deleted my previous post. I apologize to anyone and everyone I may have offended in that post (As usual, I had endeavored to offend as many people as possible).

This was not my first mistake, and it surely won't be my last. But when I make a mistake, I'll be the first to admit it.

Here's the thing about the Carnival, though--you pays your money, and you takes your chances. You can't realistically expect everything to reflect your particular point of view, whatever it may be.

The carnival is basically democratic. Within reason, I include posts sent to me regardless of POV, and I try not to negatively editorialize on their content, as I would not wish them to do so to me. However, inclusion does not necessarily indicate agreement.

I have mixed feelings about The New York Times, Newsday, The Daily News, The New York Post, and The Village Voice, all of which have printed anti-union op-eds or articles. That doesn't stop me from writing them letters, though. Thankfully, my point of view doesn’t preclude them from printing my letters either.

One of the most anti-union folks around is NYC Schools Chancellor Joel Klein, and the UFT published a column of his in its publication, NY Teacher. Would it be fair to conclude, on that basis, that the United Federation of Teachers is anti-union?

When The Daily News began excerpting posts from this blog, I got some angry email from Unity faithful expressing horror that I would allow myself to be quoted in such a publication. I couldn’t help but notice they had no objections whatsoever when the News printed UFT President Randi Weingarten’s op-ed a week later.

I think the carnival is a great place for all of us to express our views on education, whatever they are. I don't expect to persuade people like Rod Paige that unions are good things. But that doesn't mean he isn't entitled to his point of view.

However wrong it may be.
blog comments powered by Disqus