Thursday, May 24, 2007

What Do We Have that Green Dot Doesn't?


Well, we have tenure. It's a very slippery slope when folks from your union start saying lack of tenure is insignificant. Do I need to spell out what that implies?

I believe Green Dot teachers have job protection, it's superior to what's offered in the awful factories that have popped up in fun city, but the truth is probably far closer to what you can read on Eduwonk today.

The argument that Green Dot's system is superior to tenure is superficial, since Green Dot specifically rejects seniority privileges. So you may have it good your first three years, but if you plan to stick around much longer than that, you're likely to be disappointed (Disposable teachers are all the rage nowadays).

On the other hand, we also have a boss making hundreds of thousands of our dollars being perpetually chauffeured about on our dime. While she goes to gala luncheons, we walk hall patrols and teach in trailers and closets.

And we have patronage employees who have no qualms about libeling real working teachers (while receiving 2-4 times our salaries to do so). In fact, we have a veritable army of them marching to any tune the leadership calls. To make sure, Unity has them sign loyalty oaths.

I started writing this blog with the express intent of countering the teacher-bashing I saw regularly in the pages of the New York tabloids. But the 05 contract hit me over the head like a piano falling from the sky. On my worst day, I could never have imagined such a thing.

I hit maximum salary last February because we voted down a contract that would have raised it to 25. The UFT now characterizes that as an insignificant gain, but I don't.

I believe in strong, active union that fights for its members. I've been in this for 22 years, and right now I cannot remember the last time the UFT leadership fought for anything.

If anyone can, please let me know. I'm all ears
blog comments powered by Disqus