Wednesday, February 10, 2010

If It Sounds Too Good to Be True...


What was it that made schools chancellor Joel Klein close the schools today, without waiting till 6 AM? Was it that thousands of kids and teachers went to school that day last year? Was it that he inconvenienced parents even worse by waiting? Was it that he cared?

Personally, I doubt it. It was all the bad PR. Joel Klein has just closed 19 schools, with absolutely no regard for anyone who spoke up against it. His naked grab for space for charter schools has been widely exposed, and people are taking a closer look at charters.

In fact, he was unable to raise the charter cap because parents insisted on a voice as to whether or not charters could move into the schools their kids attend. As a parent, I don't want a charter taking space from my kid's schools, and if parents get a choice, they won't put the education of their children into the hands of demagogues like Joel Klein and his good buddies, like Bill Gates and Newt Gingrich.

Chancellor Klein, as usual, is concerned with his reputation and viability. Perhaps he'll look like a nice guy today. Unfortunately, he hasn't fooled me.

I doubt he's fooled you either, but let me know if I'm mistaken.
blog comments powered by Disqus