Friday, February 05, 2010

In Which Your Humble Correspondent Takes the Initiative


On February 1st we had a PD day. I looked at the menu of offerings. Do I want to go to Smartboard training for the fourth time? I mean, it's not like they're ever going to put expensive hardware in the trailer, so I'm never getting one. Should I sit through it again?

It sounded like a bad idea. I asked the principal if I could attend the new teacher workshop. He said sure, go ahead. I thought it would be interesting. And it was, too. There I was with a bunch of new teachers, and whoever was facilitating didn't show up. So one of the new teachers wrote my name in the "facilitator" box. I was happy about this because her handwriting was much better than mine.

We talked a lot about home contact and getting parents on your side--finding common interests. I asked them what their toughest experiences were and we discussed how to deal with them. I was completely unprepared, but what the hell, it wasn't my fault.

And then, yesterday morning, I got a letter in my box thanking me for the great workshop I gave, signed by the principal. I just keep wondering--does he know that whoever was supposed to run the workshop never showed? Who was that person anyway? Does he realize I just winged it, with no plan and no idea of what I was going to do?

I guess I'll never know.
blog comments powered by Disqus