Monday, July 10, 2006

Watch Yourself in Norwalk


Norwalk has had it with parents whose kids don't attend school. They've decided to evict the parents of kids who don't attend regularly. But only those who reside in public housing.

I have mixed feelings about this. I agree with opponents that making them homeless will probably not contribute to improved attendance. I've had a few students who lived in shelters, and it's really heartbreaking, particularly when you see they're really good kids.

On the other hand, I will say just about anything to manipulate troublesome kids and their parents. There's a law in NY State that says parents who refuse to come to school are guilty of neglect, or abuse, or something. I wouldn't hesitate to threaten a parent, and follow up if I thought it would help.

I also wouldn't hesitate to threaten a parent with eviction, if you threw that into my bag of tricks. However, I do agree that it's unfair to pick on parents who reside in public housing. That's not fair.

So let's evict all parents who don't send their kids to school, no matter where they live.
blog comments powered by Disqus