Sunday, July 02, 2006

Way to Go, Jill!


First of all, I'd like to sincerely thank ace NYC Educator tipster and correspondent Schoolgal for reading the New York Post so I don't have to.

Schoolgal recently sent me a vicious editorial that appeared in those pages, suggesting the NYC supervisors' union was Marxist, and which further advocated breaking "the back of the union." I thought it was too outlandish to merit a response. But union president Jill Levy had no such problem, and shot back a pithy letter I'll reprint in its entirety below:

July 2, 2006 -- I want to thank The Post's editorial board for putting me on the same level as Karl Marx, a great thinker and philosopher, and Roger Toussaint, a strong labor leader who is not afraid to stand up for workers' rights ("Principal Principles," Editorial, June 26).

I am only surprised you didn't throw in the word liberal, a label I would have been equally proud to wear.

Thank you for validating and verifying what we believe the empowerment plan is truly all about.


It is a union-busting endeavor that The Post applauds by writing, "we hope Klein and the mayor are trying to 'break the back of the union'," - it has nothing do with children.

Jill S. Levy
President Council of School Supervisors & Administrators, Brooklyn



blog comments powered by Disqus