Thursday, August 02, 2007

I'm Rich!


Wow, check this out. It looks like we're going to have to spend 200 million a year to improve the English skills of newcomers, the legal ones. And if we want to help the illegals as well, we're talking 2.9 billion. As an ESL teacher, I gotta say that's some chunk of change.

The Migration Policy Institute has determined that learning English is very, very important for people who come here, especially if they need to pass citizenship tests. I'm glad that there are people to do these studies. Me, I'd just have said anyone with half a brain who wants a decent future here ought to get off his ass and learn English (Anyone who's unlucky enough to have me as a teacher had better do the same).

But wait a cotton-picking minute:
The authors assume that instruction would cost $10 an hour...


Whoa. I regret to tender my early resignation. I could make that at Baskin-Robins and get free ice cream too.

To all my newcomer friends--Good luck learning English with your 10-dollar-an-hour teachers. You're certainly gonna need it.
blog comments powered by Disqus