Thursday, December 18, 2008

You Gotta Be a Football Hero..


I don't know about you, but I'm sick to death of hearing administrators compare teachers to professional athletes.

"NFL players don't have excuses."

"You don't see A-Rod bitching about tenure."

You don't see me running halfway around the world to sniff around Madonna either (and given the opportunity, I wouldn't bother). More importantly, you don't see the NFL recruiting via bus ads and 800 numbers. You don't see job fairs and international recruiting because the NFL isn't willing to pay the prevailing wage.

Right here in NYC, there are over 80,000 teachers. That's way, way more than the number of pro football players in the world, let alone the city. I can't remember the hearing about the last time a football player came to work to find his locker full of garbage, as my desk was a few times last week.

Ask yourself what sports would be like if we made the pros play in trailers and bathrooms, rather than facilities so expensive they preclude spending enough to give our 1.1 schoolchildren facilities and conditions like those enjoyed by kids in suburbs ten minutes away
blog comments powered by Disqus