Sunday, July 05, 2009

And Now for Something Completely Different


Here's a video and transcript of Tony Avella, a candidate running for mayor of New York City who appears not to be insane. Personally, I think not being insane is a desirable quality in a mayor (I realize many op-ed writers disagree). Here's an excerpt:

I am absolutely not a fan of charter schools and I never have been. The whole reason they came about is because the regular public schools were failing…Why did we come up with another system, why not fix the schools that are failing?


I see value in innovative schools that focus on things ordinary ones may lack. It's hard, though, to justify a two-tier system in which charters get reasonable class sizes, the best of equipment, and decent facilities while my kids are dumped in a trailer.

It's amazing that people buy the nonsense spouted by tabloid op-ed boards, who either don't know or don't care what happens to the overwhelming majority of city kids.
blog comments powered by Disqus