Thursday, July 09, 2009

Mac or PC?


I need a small laptop to carry around next year. I'm trying to decide between a small Macbook and a smaller netbook, with a much smaller price-tag. I've decided that if Mayor Bloomberg isn't going to bring technology to the trailers, I'll do it myself.

I went to the Apple store yesterday and was highly unconvinced. Mostly what I do with computers is write, and in a classroom I'd like the option of looking up multiple dictionary definitions or finding help answering the tough questions those darn smart kids ask now and then. Many of us language teachers with limited drawing ability could also use access to pictures, and we can't always anticipate in advance which ones we'll need.

So should I get that $300 netbook, or spring for a grand and get that cool-looking Macbook Pro? After all, I've been around long enough to be a pro. On the other hand, I'm pretty sure that netbook does everything I need, and is actually lighter than the mac by maybe a pound-and-a-half.

Of course I'm looking for advice, but before you venture any, I ask that you look at this 52-second video. Please be patient with it. The narration begins in French, but don't let that frighten you. Wait half a minute, and you'll see exactly what Macs do that PCs don't.

blog comments powered by Disqus