Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Counting the Seconds

Last year I didn't feel like I really needed a break until fairly close to the end of the year. Oh, I never turned a break down, mind you, but I never felt desperate for a break. I enjoyed them but I was just as happy to go back work as I was to get away from it, perverse though that may sound.


This year is different. I don't know why, exactly, but I need this break I'll be enjoying in less than 48 hours. I don't know if it's the added pressure of all the tweaks from the administration at the Morton School--it must be. That and a couple of prickly parents, I suppose. Well, now that I think about it, this is my first year with the new social studies core curriculum, too. Okay, and a new system for reading assessment. So maybe a few things have changed.



Still, how much should that stuff matter? I suppose I need to resign myself to the fact that these things will change from year to year. It just makes me wonder how I'm going to get used to it when I start to teach a new grade or maybe even go to a new school, just learning everything all over again. I know some people reading this have moved schools, grades, and subjects multiple times, but I'm still not convinced that I'm especially good at the ones I already teach.


Well, one thing is for sure: I need to catch my breath, big-time, and I'm sure you all do too. NYC Educator was nice enough to grant me a day off, so I won't be posting here this Thursday, but I'll be back over the break. I'm wishing those of you who celebrate Christmas a very merry one, and those of you who don't a pleasant vacation.

And until Wednesday, this is Miss Eyre, counting the seconds.

blog comments powered by Disqus