Thursday, December 03, 2009

This Is Going to Be Fun!!!


Teachers know that doing the same activities, books, lessons, or anything year in and year out is not necessarily a formula for success. Certain things need adjusting for whatever reason--time, your population, increasing or decreasing relevance, whatever. You can't get too married to any one thing. So when I have something that I can use over again in good conscience, I'm pretty excited.

There's a writing activity that I've used for three straight years now that I just love. Without giving too much away, it involves students writing about significant objects while actually doing some manipulation and discussion of the objects. It always makes for a few fun and funny days in my classroom. At least, I think it does.


As my class lined up to come into my room this afternoon, I couldn't contain my enthusiasm. "Hi," I said, my voice chipper. "We're going to do a really awesome writing assignment this afternoon. You're going to love it. It's going to be really fun."


Drew, always ready with a dry quip, said, "Do you mean, like, Miss Eyre fun, or us fun?"


"Well," I admitted, "probably Miss Eyre fun."


"See," he said, with a wise shake of his head, "dodgeball, now, that would be fun."


"Or some Call of Duty," chimed in another student
blog comments powered by Disqus