Monday, April 12, 2010

Girl, You'll Be a Woman Soon...

A few days ago we were reviewing past tense in my class.  I told the kids, "Every week, I draw in my art class.  Last night, I drew a beautiful woman in my class."

Then I got them to say it.  Someone has to make them use these verbs, and for some reason, they keep paying me money to do it.

"What did I draw last night?"

"You drew a beautiful girl," said a kid.

"No," objected another, "he said he drew a woman."

Which brings us to a fine point of language.

"How old," I asked, "does a girl have to be before you call her a woman?"

"18," announced one student.

"21," opined another.

A quiet kid opened her mouth.  "89," she said.

I thought this was a mistake.  "89?"

"89."

"89," agreed another.  And they all started nodding their heads.  The consensus was reached, the decision was made, and that was it.

 So, if you happen to be a girl under that age, you need not feel old just yet.  I guess we men are on our own.  It's all so unfair.
blog comments powered by Disqus