Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Your Mom's a Giant Squid

The new Clash of the Titans movie and the Percy Jackson series (The Lightning Thief et al.) of books have been wonderful for kindling an interest in ancient mythology in my middle schoolers. We were working with Greek myths recently and had been retelling them with modern language, then acting them out. My buddy Drew was so inspired during his skit today that he cried, "Release the Kraken!"

Now I didn't know, until today, what a Kraken was, so I (foolishly) asked.

"It's from Clash of the Titans," he explains. "The Kraken is, like, this monster thing."

"It's a giant squid," Drew's friend Pablo added, probably thinking he was being helpful.

"You're mom's a giant squid," Drew retorted.

Something tells me that that may be the first time such a sentence was ever uttered. At least towards a human. People probably tell baby squid that all the time.

As I like to remind my audience from time to time, you can't make this stuff up.
blog comments powered by Disqus