Thursday, April 22, 2010

The Teacher Survey: To Take or Not to Take

For those of you who don't know (though how could you not know with your principal likely reminding you of the fact every seventeen seconds), the Learning Environment Surveys are due tomorrow. Well, "due" is perhaps not the right word; I guess they can't make you take it (yet). But they're supposed to be completed tomorrow.

I still haven't taken mine.

My comment on this issue at GothamSchools has me in the "Chalk it Up" box on the front page (yippee!) and I still mean what I said there: I'm sure that my principal will be able to figure out who said what. And, to be fair, I would have a lot of positive things to say about my school: I love the kids I teach, most of my colleagues are very nice and supportive, and my principal has done some things that I think will be good for the school. I wouldn't fill it out with a bunch of negative stuff just to be mean-spirited.

But it ain't all sunshine and rainbows, and so I'm procrastinating on filling mine out. I suppose I have until midnight to make up my mind. Most of my colleagues have taken the "just fill in nice stuff so it doesn't come back to haunt us" approach, though one or two have told me that they doused that particular bridge with gasoline before throwing the match. I remain undecided.

So leave your comments before midnight and tell me whether or not I should take my survey, whether or not you took yours, what you said, etc. Kind of like bitching about the government the night before taxes are due, let's take down (or lift up) the Learning Environment Survey for the rest of the day.


blog comments powered by Disqus