Thursday, May 13, 2010

Field Test THIS

My darlings were pretty cranky today. You see, we had another standardized test today. "But, Miss Eyre," you might say, "didn't y'all just have the state ELA exam two weeks ago and the state math exam last week?" Why, yes, we did. So obviously this week was a GREAT time to have ANOTHER test.

They want to know why they have to take it and I have to tell them that I don't know. I tell them it's being used to develop test items for future tests.

"So, tests we won't have to take anymore because we'll be in high school?" they shoot back.

Well, yes, children, that is the case.

"Why couldn't we take this another time?"

I don't know.

"Hey, why do I have to take this long test and they don't?" (There were several different forms of the test, some of which had extended-response questions and some of which didn't.)

Sorry about that. It sucks. Wasn't my decision.

"So, basically, we're guinea pigs?"

Yup.

This is not a fun conversation to have with a group of thirty cranky teenagers first thing in the morning.

Clearly more tests are just what we need.
blog comments powered by Disqus