Wednesday, May 05, 2010

My Brief and Glorious Deaning Career

It was June.  Everyone and everything was winding down, and I was sitting in the dean's office with one of my dean buddies.  It's good to have buddies in the dean's office.  Every now and then you might could use their help.

Anyway, we got to talking, and it turned out there was an opening for a new dean.

"Why don't you do it?" my friend asked.  "You're pretty good with kids, and they don't give you many problems."
  
I considered it.  Wouldn't it be cool to walk around with one of those radios, striking fear into the heart of every miscreant that dared to wander our halls without proper authorization?  They'd scurry and scatter whenever they heard my footsteps. 

Given that, I went to my AP.

"Are you crazy?"  She asked me.  "Look at Mr. Downtrodden.  He's absolutely miserable.  He comes to me every day with stories about how kids disrespect him.  I think he's gonna retire for sure.  He just can't take it anymore.  Do you really want to be like that?"

Truth be told, I did not.  I like being a teacher.  What hubris to think I could control the world outside my classroom.

So it took five minutes to talk me into it, and just five more to talk me out of it.  I hope I made the right decision.   I could be missing out on everything.
blog comments powered by Disqus