Thursday, June 24, 2010

Get Out the Tissues

Since this will be my last post here before the last day of school, I figured that the generous and big-hearted readership of NYC Educator wouldn't mind if I got a little mushy. As you probably know, I teach eighth grade, so my kids are out the door for good. There are some I'll miss more than others, of course, but on the whole, I'll miss this group a lot. While I plan on going into more detail on my own blog in the coming days, I thought I might provide just this one vignette for you here.

We had our senior dance recently, and though this is but a middle school event, most of my students, particularly the girls, take it quite seriously. There are always elaborate hairdos, sumptuous dresses, and professional makeup jobs. I find it a little over-the-top, personally, but I can't possibly give them a hard time about it. They like it too much. Anyway, two of these professional makeup jobs were being cried off towards the end of the dance, and, always fearful of middle school drama, Super Chaperone Miss Eyre went to investigate the situation.

"Everything okay?" I asked the two girls.

"Oh, nothing's wrong," one said tearfully. "I'm just sad that we're all leaving."

I looked out on the dance floor where kids were alternately dancing, hugging, and crying. So many of my students really are friends with just about everyone, and I know they really will miss each other. These weren't just crocodile tears.

"You know what, hon," I said, "if it makes you feel any better, I'm sad that you're all leaving too."

And with that, she passed me a tissue, too.
blog comments powered by Disqus