Thursday, June 10, 2010

Happy Brooklyn-Queens Day!

Top of the morning and happy Brooklyn-Queens Day to you! As a non-native of NYC who is always curious to learn more about some of the city's peculiar and beloved institutions, Brooklyn-Queens Day is a favorite topic of mine. Originally celebrated as "Rally Day" to celebrate (really) Sunday schools, it became Anniversary Day and later Brooklyn-Queens Day, on which we commemorate the joining of Brooklyn and Queens with New York City proper. (These tidbits courtesy Welcome to Brooklyn.) These days, Brooklyn-Queens Day is also a Chancellor's Conference Day, on which the kiddies stay home and we go to school.

My dollbabies will undoubtedly be celebrating by sleeping late; catching up on Degrassi, Maury Povich, and Call of Duty: Modern Warfare; and, I hope to God, finishing their social studies exit projects. Somehow I doubt that any of them will be commemorating the vital role that Sunday School, Brooklyn, or Queens has played in their lives. I suppose that's all right. If I were at home, I probably wouldn't be doing any of those things either.

I will be at school, maybe doing some collaborative work with my colleagues but probably listening to a consultant read a PowerPoint out loud to me. This is how Chancellor's Conference Days tend to go. Every year I'm tempted to start up a game of Bullshit Bingo, but by the time the day rolls around, I'm usually feeling less than puckish.

The only nice thing about this Chancellor's Conference Day is that summer is right around the corner. I know it doesn't feel like it, but it is. Check your calendar. It's coming.
blog comments powered by Disqus