Monday, June 28, 2010

This Is It

The last day.  Our kids are coming back for their report cards, and this will be the last time we see them this year.  Some are moving on, and this will be the last time we see them at all.  Sad but true.

But tomorrow is the first day of summer break.  Some will actually take a break.  Many will teach summer school.  An acquaintance of mine who hadn't been offered a position eagerly awaited filing a grievance.  "Last year a bunch of people didn't get the jobs, grieved, and ended up getting paid."

Yesterday he called me and said he was finally offered a job.  "It's the next best thing," he assured me.

I had to disagree.  The next best thing, really, is not to teach summer school at all.  Sure it would be great to get paid to do nothing, but if you really want a career like that it's better to get into politics.  I think kids need a break (if they haven't spent the entire year taking one) and teachers need one too.  In Europe everyone gets a month off, and people are in unions that actually have real power--no Taylor Law for them.  It's incredible that we are plagued with President Hopey-Changey, a faux-Democrat who spends his time trying to demean and degrade one of the last good jobs Americans can get.

But I'm not going to think about that today.  I'm going to look forward to a great summer re-energizing, recharging and doing things I really want to do.  I hope you are too.

I hope everyone has a great summer.  Is that your plan?  What are you going to do this summer?
blog comments powered by Disqus