Friday, December 09, 2011

Being Rude Means Never Having to Say You're Sorry

The 13th Amendment prohibits slavery. Yet many of my colleagues have been working for nothing all year, teaching 6th period classes and looking vainly at each paycheck for some acknowledgement of their efforts. The DOE, in its infinite wisdom, let them wait three months but is bringing them a little Christmas cheer come December 15th. In fact, they have received written notice of such.

Unless, of course, they didn't. One of my friends didn't get one. She was told her supervisor was supposed to have reported it, but didn't. The supervisor, of course, denied having neglected anything. Yet there was my poor colleague, bereft of holiday cheer while everyone else was decorating a tree. The supervisor complained there would be extra paperwork. My colleague offered to help.

Later the supervisor approached my colleague and complained again of all the awful paperwork this would entail. It's tough, apparently, when people expect you to fulfill the conditions of your employment. How arrogant of my colleague to expect to be paid for her work. Who the hell does she think she is?

I've no doubt this supervisor would have a bright future in the Bloomberg administration. The one percent would have a field day with this working philosophy.
blog comments powered by Disqus