Monday, December 05, 2011

In Which My Argument Is Decimated by Icy Cold Logic

Last summer I had a pretty rough operation. I'll spare you the details, but it left me recuperating for many weeks and was no fun at all. For most of the summer I was stuck inside and unable to do much but watch TV. I was bored out of my mind and couldn't wait to go back to work. I missed the early part of the term, but got back ASAP.

When I did go back, everyone thought I was crazy. Now I don't mean to be critical, because there's every possibility they were correct. The woman who runs my department was particularly upset with me, but I'm just a little bit stubborn. She would not let up about it, so I finally told her I had to get out of my house or I would have killed myself.

She was silent for just one moment. Then she said, "Well for goodness sake, if you were going to kill yourself, why didn't you do it before you had the operation? I mean, why go through all this nonsense if you're just going to kill yourself afterward? It hardly seems worth it."

There was really nothing I could say. I guess that's why she's the boss. (It may also be that my utter lack of ambition precludes any advancement whatsoever, but that's beside the point.)
blog comments powered by Disqus