Saturday, January 20, 2018

Small School UFT Meeting

Hi, I'm Becky, and I'm the UFT Chapter Leader, The principal said we had to have one, and that I had to be it. So let's get down to it.

First order of business is the lesson plans. Now the principal says she really likes Miss Whitman's lesson plan format. Can we please write lesson plans like that, because I'm the one who's gonna have to talk to the principal about it if we don't. I really don't want anyone to get in trouble, because if you do, then I will have to go with you to the meeting with the principal. She says anytime anyone gets in trouble that I have to go and meet with her and you. Please don't make me spend my free periods at meetings.

I'm telling you right now that if you get in trouble for this, the principal will know that I instructed you to follow that lesson plan format. Let's please try to have them prepared at least one week in advance in case the principal wants to see them, and please keep an extra copy in case she walks in.

Next, let's talk about extra hours. They are strictly voluntary, of course, but when you signed up to work here you knew that they were going to ask us to do these hours. Many of them come with pay, but you know how it is.

The principal doesn't want anyone absent on Mondays or Fridays so please plan accordingly. If you have a family emergency you're just gonna have to make it during the week. Anyone who is absent on a Monday or Friday can expect a meeting with the principal, and possibly a letter in file. Please don't make me sit at the meeting, because you'll just get the letter, and there will be nothing I can do about it. I can't take sides.

The principal was very clear when she gave me this job that she didn't like grievances. If you want to file one go look it up on the website or something. Excuse my French, but I'm not putting my butt on the line just because you want to complain about some thing that happened. You can sit and read the contract and complain about this or that, but that's not how we do it here.

There's no such thing as a minimum passing rate, but the principal would like to see as many students passing as possible. That means at least 80%. So make sure, whatever you do, that you have 80% passing. Anyone who doesn't will be meeting with the principal, and again, I'd have to go with you. I don't want to do that so please let's make sure it doesn't happen. If I were you I'd try to pass 85 to 90% just to be safe. If too many students fail the principal will have to do extra observations to see what's wrong, and I won't represent you when you discuss observation reports.

Now just remember, some people will get into trouble, unfortunately, and there's nothing I can do about it. I will go with you to the meetings, because the principal says I have to, but please remember I cannot take sides. You can certainly explain your side if you think it's a good idea, but it probably isn't. The best way is to just do whatever the principal says.

Any questions? No? OK. Hope the rest of the year goes OK. If it doesn't, it's not my fault.
blog comments powered by Disqus