Thursday, January 04, 2018

Snow Day Two--Stopped in My Tracks

On CBS TV they tell me that there are 15 inches of snow where I live. I look out the window, though, and I see two feet of snow behind my car, and it stretches 20 feet behind. I have a little electric snowblower, but it's no match for this.
--
I bought the little electric snowblower last year after I read about a 45-year-old guy who dropped dead while shoveling his dad's walk. I thought, I don't want to be that guy. I didn't want to have a big, heavy gas snowblower. Of course today, I kind of wish I had gotten one.

It doesn't seem worth risking my life just to get out of my driveway--and that's not all. Even if I were able to clear the snow behind my car, there would be the little matter of getting to work. Everything I see on TV tells me that's hazardous. There are going to be a whole lot of accidents tomorrow and I'd rather not be in one.

Also, even if I get all the way to my school without incident, parking is going to be diabolical. All the cars on the street will be plowed in, and all the spaces will be full of snow. It's going to be hell to park tomorrow.

Still, if I could get my car out of the driveway, I'd go. I usually go on every terrible driving day. Maybe I'm crazy. I'm not gonna sit here and tell you I do it out of extreme dedication to the kids. Honestly, I think a whole lot of them won't even be there. ESL students have better attendance than non-ESL students, but I wouldn't let my kid go to school on a day like this.

In one respect, it's good that Mayor de B. has kept the schools open for tomorrow. The fact is we only have two snow days before we start adding more days. There are few things people hate as much as giving up non-work days. When my daughter's Long Island school, which closed at the drop of a hat, opened Easter week days I told her to stay home.

There is a delayed opening protocol for schools. I don't remember when it was established, but I do remember it was only utilized once, during a transit strike. It's kind of amazing that none of the geniuses over in Tweed ever use it. Maybe they don't know about it. After all, with all that important information rattling around in their highly-compensated heads, you can't expect them to fret over details. 

Regardless, it looks like a long weekend for me.
blog comments powered by Disqus