Wednesday, October 18, 2006

What Kids See When They Look at You


Kids think we're stupid. They're absolutely confident we'll believe everything and anything they say or write, whether or not they actually said or wrote it.

Yesterday a kid who hadn't shown up, ever, walked in and told me he'd been out of the country all year. This was fifth period. His program, however, was signed by the sixth period teacher.

"How did that happen?" I asked.

"I couldn't find the trailer yesterday," he said, not missing a beat.

Then I noticed the date on the program--August 31st. How could that be?

"Someone picked it up for me," he said.

Then how did the sixth period teacher sign it?

"I was here two months ago."

"I thought you were in China," I told him.

"That was another time."

Why do they think we're so incredibly stupid? Probably because so many of us sign whatever passes over our desks without even looking at it.

We've gotta stop doing that.
blog comments powered by Disqus