Wednesday, January 09, 2008

Democracy, More or Less


Every four years, I turn into a political junkie and spend a lot more time watching CNN. With Sirius satellite, I now have it in my car, so I'm never far from the genius pundits.

They're always willing to let me know who won the election well before anyone actually casts a vote. A few weeks back, they told me Hillary would win and everyone else was wasting valuable time. All last week, they told me Hillary was toast, and that Obama was unstoppable.

So while Hillary's not my favorite candidate, I was very happy to see her hold onto a lead last night, and even happier when MSNBC projected her as the winner (Flicking back and forth, I noticed that CNN and Fox didn't join in that projection until Obama actually came out to concede).

Hillary spoke very well, and clearly seemed to have taken a page from John Edwards' playbook, speaking about the disappearing middle class and corporate control (In fact, the moment when she teared up last week saw her saying how "personal" the campaign is, exactly what Edwards stressed at the ABC debate).

There's something really distasteful and grotesque about having 0.5% of the country determine who the presidential candidates will be. Two states have spoken, and there are 48 more to go. Here's someone else who thinks so:

blog comments powered by Disqus