Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Give Too Much Homework, Go to Jail


Well, maybe not, but City Council member Peter Vallone wants to limit the amount of homework kids get. Apparently no one has disabused him of the notion that children need time to play, so he wants first graders to get 10 minutes of homework, second graders 20, and so on.

He said limiting homework would increase the time children can spend going outside and exercising. He said his own two daughters sometimes get so overwhelmed by homework that he cannot convince them to play outside.

Is Vallone right? Was I mistaken when I bolted shackles and chains to my little daughter's desk so she'd sit and work until bedtime? I've always given her a bowl of gruel, and promised her extra rations if she'd pass enough standardized tests. I thought that was my role as a parent.

Maybe Vallone is onto something, though. Kids need to be kids, right?

What do you think?
blog comments powered by Disqus