Wednesday, February 06, 2008

It's Truth, Justice, and the American Way


I heard a story on the radio this morning about some Iowa politician proposing a law that American flags be made in America. Search though I did, I couldn't find any reference to it on the net.

But it looks like they're not the first. As of January 1st, 2008, no American flags can be sold in Minnesota unless they're made in the USA. I guess I'm not the best role model in the world, having driven Japanese cars for the past 20 years, but it never even crossed my mind that the American flag would be produced abroad.

One of my colleagues today stated that military uniforms were made overseas, but apparently that's not true, as the Berry Amendment states the Department of Defense to American manufacturers when purchasing food, clothing and other items. There's been some controversy about it, but it appears to remain alive and well.

There's a perverse irony to the notion that American flags would be made overseas. I have no problem requiring American flags to be produced in the USA, even if it means I can't buy them at Wal-Mart for 49 cents anymore.

What do you think?
blog comments powered by Disqus